Let’s go somewhere?
So… which were the places?
Each answer was a SONG TITLE, not just a title with a place in it.
1. Where, in London, lives a lad who’s planning on forgoing alcohol and casual sex and then buying somewhere else to live?
Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty
“He’s got this dream about buyin’ some land/He’s gonna give up the booze and the one night stands/And then he’ll settle down, it’s a quiet little town/And forget about everything.”
2. What swampish location – of a particular hue – is home to playful catfish?
Blue Bayou by Roy Orbison*
“I’m going back some day come what may to Blue Bayou/Where you sleep all day and the catfish play on Blue Bayou.”
3. Where has the milk delivery service been discontinued, much to the distress of one hundred women?
Town Called Malice by The Jam
“Rows and rows of disused milk floats stand dying in the dairy yard/And a hundred lonely housewives clutch empty milk bottles to their hearts.”
4. Which establishment destroys hard-up young men’s lives?
The House of the Rising Sun by The Animals
“There is a house in New Orleans/They call the Rising Sun/And it’s been the ruin of many a poor boy/And God I know I’m one.”
5. Where did a passionate northern pair go rough and tumbling in the grass, despite the weather?
Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
“Out on the wild and windy moors/We’d roll and fall in green/You had a temper, like my jealousy/Too hot, too greedy.”
6. Which West Coast lodging has mirrors on the ceiling and voices down the corridor?
Hotel California by The Eagles
“There were voices down the corridor, I thought I heard them say/Welcome to the Hotel California…
…Mirrors on the ceiling/The pink champagne on ice/And she said “We are all just prisoners here, of our own device…”
7. Where can businessmen be found drinking a joker’s wine?
All Along the Watch Tower by Jimi Hendrix
“There must be some kind of way out of here/Said the joker to the thief/There’s too much confusion/I can’t get no relief.
Businessman they drink my wine…”
8. Where can you buy a poppy from a nurse?
Penny Lane by The Beatles
“Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout/A pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray.”
9. Where do the lights change from red to green and back again over two days?
Babylon by David Gray
“Friday night I’m going nowhere/All the lights are changing green to red…
…Saturday I’m running wild/And all the lights are changing red to green…”
10. Which public space is home to a disintegrating cake?
Macarthur Park by Donna Summer
“Macarthur Park is melting in the dark/All the sweet, green icing flowing down/Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don’t think that I can take it/’Cause it took so long to bake it/And I’ll never have that recipe again, oh no…”
11. Where might one escape from poisonous rain, on a plain?
Where the Streets Have No Name by U2
“I want to take shelter from the poison rain/Where the streets have no name…
…I’ll show you a place/High on a desert plain/Where the streets have no name”
12. In which city is one required to sport flora, particularly on the head?
San Francisco by Scott Mackenzie
“If you’re going to San Francisco/Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.”
13. Which US State had intermittent problems with lighting failure?
Massachusetts by The Bee Gees**
“And the lights all went out in Massachusetts/The day I left her standing on her own.”
14. Where’s the place to go when it’s tar-meltingly hot?
Under the Boardwalk by The Drifters
“Oh, when the sun beats down and burns the tar up on the roof/And your shoes get so hot you wish your tired feet were fire-proof
Under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah/On a blanket with my baby is where I’ll be.”
15. Like a celeb – that’s how you’d like to roll… but where?
Beverly Hills by Weezer
“Beverly Hills… That’s where I want to be! (gimme, gimme)/Living in Beverly Hills…
Beverly Hills… Rolling like a celebrity! (gimme, gimme)/Living in Beverly Hills…”
16. Which conurbation has attractive females and regulation-coloured lawns?
Paradise City by Guns ‘n’ Roses
“Take me down to the paradise city/Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.”
17. Where are you guaranteed to live one day, watching the stars and the city lights?
Paris by Friendly Fires
“And every night we’ll watch the stars/They’ll be out for us
And every night, the city lights/They’ll be out for us…
One day we’re gonna live in Paris/I promise/I’m on it.”
18. Which Greek island has the potential power to resolve problems through the intensity of its sunshine?
Mykonos by Fleet Foxes
“And you will go to Mykonos/With a vision of a gentle coast/And a sun to maybe dissipate/Shadows of the mess you made.”
19. Which rooms will change your mind?
Molly’s Chambers by Kings of Leon
“Molly’s chambers gonna change your mind.”
20. Where have they had to shut down the night spots due to difficulties getting acts to play there?
Ghost Town by The Specials
“This town, is coming like a ghost town/All the clubs have been closed down
This place, is coming like a ghost town/Bands won’t play no more (too much fighting on the dance floor).”
*More than one of you responded with CCR’s Green River but I’m afraid there’s nothing specifically swampish about a river, nor do the catfish play there, they bite!
**I’m not going to accept The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia by Vicki Lawrence, as the title isn’t just the name of the location. And it’s rubbish.
One point per location discovered. All points to be added to your grand total (see CPPOP! for more details)
C P P O P ! Q U E S T I O N 8 P O D I U M
The winner – who will receive a selection of postcards from a variety of locations – is…
Mr. Young with 18 correct answers
2nd: Mr. Dunn (17)
3rd: Ms. Clements and Ms. Trendall (15)
5th: Mr. Cleaver and Mr. Redman (14)
… with a fair few of you bubbling away just outside of the honours… well done, all!
L E A D E R B O A R D
1st: Mr. Dunn (62)
2nd: Mr. Young (61)
3rd: Ms. Trendall (57)
4th : Mr. Landi (49)
5th: Mr. Redman (47)